Meet Ms Susan Hamilton, the CEO at AFLSSQ.
A traditional community woman, Susan has dedicated her life to the betterment of Australia’s First People.
She began her legal career as Associate to Justice DA Mullins, Supreme Court of Queensland. From there, she went on to work as a:
- Legal Officer with the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Queenland,
- Legal Officer, Solicitor Advocate, with Legal Aid Queensland,
- Senior Legal Officer, Legal Officer, with the Native Title Office of the Torres Strait Regional Authority (TSRA),
- Presenter/Panel Member at the National Indigenous Legal Conference on “The Pursuit of Equality: From international instruments to individual advancement” organised by the NSW Bar Association in Sydney New South Wales in 2011, and
- Presenter/Panel Member at the Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges Association 14 Triennial Conference in Toronto in Canada in 2006.
Susan has also managed and served on a number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporations. These include, Administration Manager, Murri Aid Inala Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation in Queensland, and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation for Women in Queensland. Susan has also served as Director of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation for Legal Services and President of Burragah Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cooperative Association for a number of years. She has worked as an academic, and is a published author.
Over the years, Susan’s work has won her a number of distinguished awards and recognitions. Most recently, Susan was recently recognised as a national treasure for her service to the nation on the Leo Akiba case, which ultimately saw the High Court of Australia award commercial rights for the first time under a Native Title framework.
Susan is the first Torres Strait Islander to appear as a barrister in the High Court of Australia.
AFLSSQ is delighted to have recruited Ms Susan Hamilton to serve as the CEO of AFLSSQ. We look forward to the future under her leadership and guidance.