Domestic Violence

Domestic violence is when one person in a relevant relationship with another person is:

  • physically or sexually abusive; or
  • emotionally or psychologically abusive; or
  • economically abusive; or
  • threatening; or
  • coercive; or
  • in any other way controls or dominates or causes the other person to fear for their own (or someone else’s) personal safety or wellbeing.

In Queensland the Domestic and Family Violence Protection Act 2012, which is current as at 30 May 2017, is defined as,

An Act to provide for protection of a person against violence committed or threatened by someone else if a relevant relationship exists between the persons.

A person can apply for protection in cases of domestic violence. The Courts can issue an order to help protect the aggrieved (the person who the abusive behaviour was directed against) from the respondent (the person alleged to have committed the abusive behaviour). These orders will include the condition that the respondent must not commit domestic violence against the aggrieved. The court may impose other conditions such as a requirement to stay away from the aggrieved’s usual place of residence.

Domestic violence is most often perpetrated by men against women with whom they are in an intimate relationship and their children. However, anyone can be a victim or perpetrator.

If you (or someone you know) is suffering domestic violence, we can help you.

Our solicitors can help you through the process of applying for a domestic violence order or child protection matter to protect you and your family.

On the other hand, we can help if you are troubled by an order falsely made against you (or someone you know). Though being the respondent to an order is not a criminal offence, it can have serious repercussions. So you should seek legal advice when required to respond to an application for a domestic violence order.

Whether you are looking to apply for a domestic violence order, or seeking advice in responding to an order, we are here to help. Contact our office by email or freecall us on 1800 185 950.